“These are without a doubt, the best collard greens I have ever eaten (and I have had my share). My grandma used to make this recipe in the summer when her collards in the garden were ready. If you don’t like these, you don’t like collard greens … guaranteed!! Add more red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.”
- 2 cups chopped red onion
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 4 pounds collard greens – rinsed, trimmed and chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cook onion and bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat until onions are soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add chicken stock, vinegar, brown sugar, and pepper flakes and cook and stir until brown sugar has completely dissolved, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 1/2 of the collard greens, reduce heat to medium, and cook until greens are slightly wilted, about 10 minutes. Add remaining greens, toss to combine, and simmer over medium-low heat until tender, about 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Source : allrecipes.com